It's Not What You Say But How You Say It (Liferay)

I haven’t gotten any feedback on the articles that I posted have posted. But, just for argument\"s sake, I do get comments from users just after I start a review draft of the product documentation (which are based on the wiki articles). Do I incorporate the user comments as part of the product documentation as I would review feedback from the project team? Or should I just collect the user comments and have the product team review them for completeness and accuracy (as is done with bug reports)?

In other words, should blog posts on  an open source project be considered as complete and accurate when the product documentation is available separately? Or, more to the point, can a blogreplace the need for separate product documentation?

My past experience working on open source documentation projects is that, while blogs are a valuable opportunity to solicit feedback, they cannot replace the need for dedicated writers to create the required task, reference, and conceptual documentation. In other words, someone has to bake the cake before others can get a taste.

Perhaps the ideal role that community wikis can play will be to provide a forum to discuss how to fill the gaps in the product documentation over the life of the product, perhaps starting with planning and deployment issues (at the beginning of the product lifecycle) to upgrade and migration issues (when the next product release is available).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Professional Resume

If A Tree Falls In The Forest (Liferay)

Picking Up The Pieces